Vaudreuil-Dorion has chosen to offer a pdf version of a few general-interest publications.

Project for implementation of the new City Hall

Questions and answers

Why decide to purchase instead of continuing to rent? 

The lease for the building located at 2555 Dutrisac Street ends in April 2019. With the building now up for sale, we were forced to consider either renting out another location or purchasing a lot. At current market prices, renting would represent an annual expense of $300,000. Building a new city hall has been part of the City’s plans for several years. However, the municipal council wished to complete other major projects first—the firehouses, arena, the Saint-Charles viaduct, the filtration plant, the water treatment plant and the future library expansion. Having been a tenant since 1977, the City of Vaudreuil-Dorion is now at the point where it is ready to build a City Hall it can be proud of.  

Where is the chosen site located?

The municipal council has chosen 405 Saint-Charles Avenue as the location for the future city hall building. Several possible locations were evaluated. However, this particular location stood out from the rest and was unanimously chosen by elected officials. The home located at 405 Saint-Charles Avenue is owned by Corporation Maurice-Ratté. The total lot is 187,740 square feet. 

What is the surface area of the building?

A firm of architects has confirmed the feasibility of constructing a building with a surface area of 11,200 square feet, which is comparable to the footprint of the neighboring building (Office municipal d'habitation). Based on our preliminary analysis, the building will likely have three floors. The total floor area wwill be approximately 33,600 square feet.

What surface area will be occupied by the future city hall building and parking lot?

According to the feasibility study, the footprint of the building, the front yard and the parking lot should be approximately 45,500 square feet, which reprensents 24% of the site's overall surface area. The City Hall will be located at the heart of Vaudreuil-Dorion, on an exceptional site that will be transformed into a park made accessible to all. The goal is to ensure that the building takes up a minimal surface area so that as much green space as possible can be left for citizens to enjoy.  

Did you consider any other sites?

Several sites were assessed, including one on Harwood Boulevard. But, in the end, the waterfront property located at 405 Saint-Charles Avenue, overshadowed all of the other options. The lot amounted to approximately $5 per square foot compared to almost $20 per square foot for the lot on Harwood Boulevard, and would leave plenty of space to create an immense park for citizens to enjoy. The other lots that were considered ranged from $18 to $30 a square foot, making them much more expensive in comparison.  

Will the new City Hall building be constructed in a flood-risk zone?  

The building will be located in the front portion of the lot, directly along Saint-Charles Avenue, and therefore outside of any flood-risk zone. Any institutional building erected in a flood-risk zone must first receive special authorization from the Ministère du Développement durable, de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques, which was not required in our case.  

Will many trees be cut down?

We will preserve as many trees as possible. An aerial view of the lot clearly shows that the area occupied by the City Hall building is minimal compared to the rest of the lot. We will also plant new trees in order to replace those that are cut in the construction process.  

How many parking spaces will be provided?

Approximately 60 employees work at City Hall. The projected parking lot will include 80 parking spaces and will be a green parking lot, which is environmentally friendly and reduces heat islands by being asphalt free.

Will you include green spaces?

Yes. In fact, the majority of the lot will be preserved and turned into a waterfront park overlooking the Bay of Vaudreuil. The entire lot will be accessible to citizens and may include community gardens, benches, swings and a site for fishing. The City already owns other waterfront property from Maison-Valois Park to Esther-Blondin Park. We are currently looking at the possibility of connecting these spaces through a boardwalk.   

Will taxes increase as a result of this project?

The project aimed at building a new City Hall has been part of the municipality’s   plans for several years. If we consider the fact that, without the new building, the city would still have to pay approximately $300,000 in rent per year, and that funds have been set aside specifically for this project, we can ensure that citizens’ tax bills will not be affected as a result of this particular project.  

When will the project be completed?

The project is expected to be completed by Winter 2019.

Parking at Centre Multisports : Long-term zone to be added

The City of Vaudreuil-Dorion has decided to establish a long-term zone in the parking lot of Centre Multisports, close by the Vaudreuil train station. “Since last Monday, we have been studying the volume of traffic at the Centre Multisports parking lot and we see that we can free up space for users of the station. We are aware that the most difficult months are December, January and February when snow obstructs the space and takes up many parking places. Starting today, we will be providing 55 long-term parking spaces. This will not solve everything, but we are fully aware of the problems faced by our residents,” stated Mayor Guy Pilon.

On March 13th, Mayor Guy Pilon held a press conference to announce a new regulation for the Centre Multisports parking lot, namely a maximum stay of four consecutive hours. This decision resulted from numerous complaints filed by Centre Multisports users in recent months.

“While we’re waiting for the station parking lot to be finished, shuttle buses or a valet parking service like Saint-Lambert are a possibility for next winter. The AMT and the MTQ have to solve the problem. The number of people using the commuter train and the A-40 is constantly increasing. The Centre Multisports clientele is also growing and there have been numerous complaints about the lack of parking space since January. We can’t ignore this very legitimate request, as the parking lot belongs to Centre Multisports. Commuter train users also have their own space. The MTQ has the power to arrive at a solution. I will make sure that they don’t forget their commitment,” added Mayor Guy Pilon.

A meeting is scheduled between the AMT and Mayor Guy Pilon at City Hall on April 13th. The Mayor will discuss parking problems and measures to ease the situation.

French status

Vaudreuil-Dorion is a unilingually French city, a status that was determined by the Government of Québec.

In order for a municipality to offer services in both official languages, half of its population must be residents whose mother tongue is English, which is not currently the case for Vaudreuil-Dorion.

Because of this status, the Charter of the French language requires that only French be used in posting, writing and publishing documents, except where health or public safety also requires the use of another language.


Les résidents de Vaudreuil-Dorion sont autorisés à garder un maximum de deux chats et deux chiens par domicile. Le propriétaire doit détenir une licence pour chaque animal domestique, valide pour sa durée de vie, disponible à l’hôtel de ville ou lors du passage du contrôleur animalier.


En vertu du Règlement no 1510, la licence est obligatoire pour tous les chats et les chiens. Le prix de la licence est de 15 $. Les frais de 5 $ pour le remplacement du médaillon perdu sont toujours en vigueur. Cette licence est disponible à l’hôtel de ville ou lors de la visite du contrôleur.


Lorsqu’un chien ou un chat se trouve à l’extérieur de l’unité d’occupation de son gardien ou ses dépendances, l’animal doit être tenu en laisse dont la longueur ne peut excéder deux mètres ou retenu au moyen d’un dispositif (attache, clôture, etc.) l’empêchant de sortir de ce terrain.

Contrôleur animalier

Le contrôleur animalier a pour mandat de capturer les chiens et les chats errants. Il récupère également les animaux blessés ou morts dans des lieux publics ou sur les voies de circulation.

Un citoyen aux prises avec des animaux sauvages sur son terrain peut emprunter une cage au Service des travaux publics, moyennant un dépôt de 25 $. Une fois l'animal capturé, il peut communiquer avec le contrôleur animalier pour qu'il vienne chercher l'animal. Des frais sont associés à ce service.

Pour joindre le contrôleur animalier, composez le 450 455-3371, poste 2599.


Il est important que le gardien d'un chien soit muni, en tout temps, des instruments lui permettant d’enlever et de disposer des défécations du chien d’une manière hygiénique, que ce soit sur la propriété publique ou sur la propriété privée. La présence d’un chien dans un parc, un terrain de jeux ou une place publique de la municipalité est prohibée.

Aires d’exercices canins

Il est interdit à toute personne de promener son chien dans les parcs de la ville. Quatre aires d’exercices canins sont mises à la disposition des citoyens sur la rue Marier (coin des Merisiers), sur la rue du Ruisselet, sur la rue Lorne-Worseley et à l'angle de la montée Cadieux et de l'avenue Saint-Charles. Il est fortement recommandé de s’assurer que l’animal possède une couverture vaccinale maximale à jour et qu’il est correctement protégé contre les parasites internes et externes transmissibles.

Code de conduite dans l’aire d’exercices canins (AEC) :

  • Les enfants de moins de 12 ans doivent être accompagnés d'un adulte à l'intérieur de l'AEC. 
  • L'AEC est accessible tous les jours de 7 h à 23 h. 
  • Le maître doit être dans l'AEC en même temps que son chien et le surveiller tout au long de sa présence dans les lieux. Il doit le tenir en laisse tant et aussi longtemps que celui-ci n'est pas à l'intérieur de l'AEC. À l'extérieur de l'AEC, le chien doit être tenu au moyen d'une laisse de deux mètres au plus.
  • Le maître d'un chien doit ramasser toutes les matières fécales (ou excréments) de son chien et les jeter d'une manière hygiénique dans les poubelles prévues à cet effet. Cette règle s'applique à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur de l'AEC. Cependant, cette règle ne s'applique pas aux non-voyants.
  • Il est interdit pour un maître d'avoir plus de deux chiens sous sa responsabilité dans l'AEC tout comme aucun autre animal ne peut avoir accès au site.
  • Le maître doit être en mesure de maîtriser son chien en tout temps.
  • La consommation de nourriture est interdite dans l'AEC. Nourrir un chien à l'intérieur de l'aire d'exercice est aussi interdit.
  • Un chien ne doit pas aboyer, hurler ou gémir de façon à troubler la paix. Le maître doit utiliser les moyens nécessaires pour empêcher son chien de troubler la quiétude du voisinage. Au besoin, il devra utiliser une muselière.
  • Les chiens fréquentant l'AEC doivent être vaccinés et ne pas être porteurs de maladies afin de ne présenter aucun risque pour les autres chiens.
  • Les chiens dangereux, agressifs, d'attaque ou de protection sont interdits dans l'AEC.
  • Les chiens en rut (en chaleur) sont interdits dans l'AEC.
  • Les chiens doivent porter une licence en vigueur.


Un projet-pilote permet la garde de poules, selon des conditions très strictes fixées afin d’assurer le bien-être des animaux et le respect du voisinage. Le nombre maximal de poules varie en fonction de la superficie du terrain : deux poules pour les lots d’une superficie de moins de 400 m2 et cinq, pour les lots de plus de 400 m2. Les coqs ne sont pas acceptés.

L’implantation d’un poulailler nécessite un permis de la Ville, disponible auprès de la Division permis et inspections au coût de 20 $. Le poulailler doit être pourvu de ventilation, d’isolation et d’une source de chaleur si les poules sont gardées entre le 1er novembre et le 15 avril. Sa superficie ne doit pas dépasser 10 m2, tout comme l’enclos grillagé adjacent, et doit également se trouver à une distance minimale de 2 m de toute ligne de lot.

Les poules domestiques doivent demeurer à l’intérieur du poulailler entre 22 h et 6 h. La propreté des installations est primordiale : les odeurs ne doivent pas être perceptibles à l’extérieur du poulailler. Enfin, la vente d’œufs ou de tout autre produit dérivé des poules n’est pas autorisée et aucune enseigne à cet effet ne sera tolérée.

Animaux sauvages

La Loi sur la conservation et la mise en valeur de la faune interdit de tuer ou de capturer un animal sauvage sans avoir au préalable tenté de lui faire peur ou de l'empêcher de causer des dégâts.

Mesures de prévention pour éviter la visite d’animaux sauvages

  • Chapeauter les cheminées.
  • Éliminer les vers blancs (larves de hannetons européens) de la pelouse.
  • Empêcher l'accès aux ordures ménagères en les plaçant dans des poubelles hermétiques en métal.
  • Éviter de nourrir les animaux domestiques à l'extérieur.
  • Installer des languettes de vinyle conçues pour les clôtures à mailles losangées sur le tronc des arbres fruitiers pour empêcher les animaux d’y grimper.
  • Installer un filet au dessus de l'arbre si l'animal l'atteint en grimpant par un arbre voisin ou une clôture.
  • Tailler les branches qui donnent accès à une toiture.

Si vous constatez des dommages causés par un animal sauvage sur votre terrain, il est important d’identifier l’animal afin de prendre les moyens adéquats pour l’éloigner. Pour connaître les habitudes de vie de l’animal et choisir les solutions appropriées, consulter la section Animaux importuns du site du ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs du Québec.