Vaudreuil-Dorion residents are allowed to keep a maximum of two cats and two dogs per household. The owner must have a permit for each pet animal, valid for its lifetime, available from an Animal Control Officer.


Under By-law 1510, a permit is compulsory for all cats and dogs. The permit fee is $15. The $5 replacement fee for lost tags is still in effect. Permits are available on the pet license platform or from the Animal Control Officer.

Animal Control Officer

The Animal Control Officer's mission is to supervise animals on his or her territory. He is responsible for the sale and issuance of municipal licenses for dogs and cats.

He is responsible for capturing, recovering and disposing of stray, injured or dead animals in public places or on the road. 


1269 Harwood Road, Vaudreuil-Dorion

Opening hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Thursday, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

To contact the Animal Control Officer, call 450-455-3371 ext. 2599 or join him by e-mail.

Le contrôleur animalier a pour mission la supervision des animaux sur son territoire en appliquant les règlements provinciaux et municipaux. Il est responsable de la vente et de la délivrance des licences municipales pour les chiens et les chats.

Son mandat inclut le traitement des plaintes et des requêtes des citoyens en lien avec à la réglementation. Il veille à capturer, récupérer et disposer des animaux errants, blessés ou morts dans les lieux publics ou sur les voies de circulation. C'est aussi lui qui a le pouvoir d'inspecter tout lieu privé afin de faire respecter la réglementation et de donner des constats d'infraction.

Contact : 

Pour joindre le contrôleur animalier, composez le 450 455-3371, poste 2599 ou contactez-le par courriel. 

1269, route Harwood, Vaudreuil-Dorion

Heures d'ouverture :
Lundi, mardi, mercredi et vendredi, de 8 h à 18 h
Jeudi, de 8 h à 20 h
Samedi et dimanche, de 8 h à 17 h

Supplementary Regulation Concerning Dogs

To ensure the safety of individuals, on May 19, 2020, the municipal council adopted the Règlement complémentaire concernant les chiens (Complementary by-law concerning dogs) (By-law No. 1771), which complements the regulations put in place by the Government of Quebec in March of the same year. By-law No. 1771 provides, among other things, for the microchipping of dogs on its territory and measures regarding potentially dangerous dogs. Consult the complete regulation in the By-Laws of General Interest section.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • If the dog is already licensed, does it need to be re-registered?

    Yes, if your dog was registered with the City prior to December 16, 2020, simply log on to the web platform, create your account and select option 2, "Registration of an animal that already has a licence". Be sure to have your pet's license number, microchip number and proof of vaccination available. You also have the option to add a photo of your pet. This procedure is completely free of charge. If your pet is registered with another municipality, you must complete the entire registration process by selecting option 1 and paying the appropriate fee.

  • If the dog is already microchipped, how do I get a license?
    Log in to the web platform, create your account and select option 1, "Licence request". Once you have completed your registration and paid the license fee, you will receive your pet's tag at home free of charge.
  • If the dog is already licensed by the City and microchipped, do I need to get another license and pay the fee again?
    No. If you are registering a licensed animal before June 30, 2021, there is no fee and you retain your current license. Effective July 1st, 2021, licences issued prior to December 16, 2020 that have not been updated will expire and you will be required to reapply for a full licence and pay the fee. (Art. 37, By-law No. 1771)
  • What are the criteria for determining whether a dog is dangerous?
    Under the Règlement d'application de la Loi sur l'encadrement des chiens du gouvernement du Québec (Quebec government’s Dangerous Dog Law): "A dog that has bitten or attacked a person or a pet and has caused injury may also be declared potentially dangerous by a local municipality."

Microchip Grant

In order to encourage as many citizens as possible to comply with the microchip requirements set out in the said by-law, the City is offering a $10 refund to cover part of the cost of the veterinary act of implanting the microchip.


  • Eligibility must be determined in advance by the Land Use Department;
  • The microchipping must have been performed by a veterinarian with a place of business in the City of Vaudreuil-Dorion;
  • The grant application must be sent to the City within a maximum of 12 months following the operation.

Required documentation:

  • Application form (in French) and proof of residence;
  • Invoice for the veterinary implantation procedure showing the name and address of the veterinarian.

Professionals offering microchip service in Vaudreuil-Dorion:

  • Clinique vétérinaire Vaudreuil (463, avenue Saint-Charles, local 100)
  • Clinique vétérinaire du Vieux-Dorion (204, avenue Saint-Charles)
  • Hôpital vétérinaire de Hudson (5412, route Harwood)
  • Hôpital vétérinaire des Trois-Lacs (23, rue Saint-Michel)
  • SPCA (3658, boul. de la Cité-des-Jeunes)
  • Wizoo (3-22800, chemin Dumberry)

Vagrant animals

Whenever a dog or cat is outside the residential unit or outbuildings of its guardian, the animal must be kept on a leash not exceeding 2 metres in length, or restrained by means of a device (fastening, fencing, etc.) that prevents it from leaving the property. If you see a stray dog or cat, you can contact 311 or the animal controller at 450 455-3371, ext. 2599.


It is important that dog guardians be equipped at all times with means to remove and dispose of feces in a hygienic manner, whether on public or private property. Dogs are prohibited in the City’s parks, playgrounds and public places.

Canine Exercise Areas (dog runs)

It is prohibited to walk a dog in a park, with the exception of certain areas identified in By-law No. 1771 (Section 34.7). Many parks now allow access to the periphery or to predefined areas with signage in place. There are 5 dog runs for residents: on Marier (corner of des Merisiers), on du Ruisselet, on Lorne-Worsley, at the corner of montée Cadieux and Saint-Charles and at the Harwood Nature Park. You are strongly recommended to ensure that your pet has up-to-date immunization coverage and is adequately protected from internal and external transmissible parasites.

Code of Conduct in Canine Exercise Areas (dog runs)

  • Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult within the dog run.

  • Dog runs are open daily from 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM.

  • The dog guardian must be in the dog run at the same time as the dog and supervise it at all times while it is on the site. The guardian must keep the dog leashed at all times it is not within the confines of the dog run. Outside the dog run, the dog must be kept on a leash not exceeding 2 metres.

  • Guardians must collect all feces (excrement) from their pets and dispose of it in a hygienic manner in the bins provided for this purpose. This rule applies both inside and outside the confines of the dog run. However, the rule does not apply to blind persons.

  • It is prohibited for dog guardians to be responsible for more than 2 dogs within the dog run.

  • Guardians must be able to control their animals at all times.

  • Guardians are prohibited from consuming food within the dog run. Feeding a dog inside the run is also prohibited.

  • Dogs must not bark, howl or whine in a manner that disturbs the peace. Guardians must use the means necessary to prevent their dogs from disrupting the peace and quiet of the neighbourhood. If necessary, use a muzzle.

  • Dogs using the dog run must be vaccinated and not be carriers of disease, in order to pose no risk to other dogs.

  • Dangerous, aggressive, attack or protection dogs are prohibited within the dog run.

  • Dogs in heat (rut) are prohibited within the dog run.

  • Dogs must have a permit.


A pilot project allows for hens to be kept, under very strict conditions ensuring animal welfare and respect for the neighbourhood. The maximum number of chickens varies according to the area of ​​land: 2 hens for lots of less than 400 sq m and 5 hens for lots of more than 400 sq m. Cocks (roosters) are not permitted.

Installing a chicken coop requires a permit from the City, available from the Permits and Inspections Division for a fee of $20. The hen house must be provided with ventilation, insulation and a heat source if poultry is kept between November 1st and April 15th. Its area must not exceed 10 sq m, just like the adjoining wire enclosure, and should also be at least 2 m from any property line.

Domestic hens must remain inside the hen house between 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM. The cleanliness of the installations is of the greatest importance—odours must not be perceptible outside the coop. Lastly, the sale of eggs or any other product derived from chickens is prohibited and no signs for this purpose are permitted.

Wild Animals

The Act Respecting the Conservation and Development of Wildlife prohibits killing or capturing a wild animal without first attempting to scare it away or prevent it from causing damage.

Preventive measures to avoid attracting wild animals

  • Cap the chimneys.

  • Eliminate white grubs (European chafer larvae) from the lawn.

  • Avoid feeding pets outside.

  • Install vinyl strips designed for chain-link fences on the trunks of fruit trees to prevent animals from climbing them.

  • Install a net over the tree if the animal reaches it by climbing a nearby tree or fence.

  • Install a net over the garden to protect plants growing in the garden.

  • Prune branches that provide access to a roof.

  • Apply a repellent product on your property.

If you notice any damage caused by a wild animal on your property, it is essential to identify the animal in order to take the appropriate means to keep it away. To find out about the animal's life habits and select an appropriate solution, consult the Animaux importuns (troublesome animals) section of the website of the Ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs du Québec.  

As a last resort, if no preventive method has worked, a cage may be borrowed from the Public Works Department for a deposit of $25. These cages will only catch raccoons, skunks or groundhogs. Once the animal is captured, you can contact a professional of your choice to come and pick it up.

Dead or injured animals

if you find a dead or injured animal in a public place or on traffic lanes, you can contact the Animal Control Officer at 450 455-3371, ext. 2599 or 311 to have it recovered.

If you see a wild animal that seems disoriented, injured, abnormally aggressive or paralyzed, or if there is a sick or dead raccoon, skunk or fox on your property, contact the raccoon rabies control operations at 1 877 346-6763 or online.

As part of Quebec's avian influenza surveillance program, birds found sick, injured or dead must be reported to 1 877 346-6763. 

This page reports current and forthcoming works in the area.

This page reports current and forthcoming works in the area.

Discover the roadworks