English

Vaudreuil-Dorion has chosen to offer a pdf version of a few general-interest publications.

Environmental policy

The City of Vaudreuil-Dorion is beginning a process of public consultations to find out more about its population’s priorities in an effort to draw up an environmental policy.  

Survey

Understanding your priorities when it comes to the environment enables us to set out the guidelines and objectives of our future environmental policy. As such, you are invited to complete this short survey before April 28, 2017. 

Evening consultation meeting

An evening consultation meeting in the form of facilitator-guided round-table discussions will take place at Centre Multisports on April 25 from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. All Vaudreuil-Dorion residents are welcome to attend!

In order to establish the number of facilitators and the material required for the meeting, we ask that you register by contacting the Environment Division by phone at 450 455-3371, Option 1 or by email at environnement@ville.vaudreuil-dorion.qc.ca.

Submitting briefs

Organizations and citizens who wish to share their challenges and priorities with relation to the environment are also invited to submit a brief by email at environnement@ville.vaudreuil-dorion.qc.ca. before April 28, 2017.

Parking at Centre Multisports : Long-term zone to be added

The City of Vaudreuil-Dorion has decided to establish a long-term zone in the parking lot of Centre Multisports, close by the Vaudreuil train station. “Since last Monday, we have been studying the volume of traffic at the Centre Multisports parking lot and we see that we can free up space for users of the station. We are aware that the most difficult months are December, January and February when snow obstructs the space and takes up many parking places. Starting today, we will be providing 55 long-term parking spaces. This will not solve everything, but we are fully aware of the problems faced by our residents,” stated Mayor Guy Pilon.

On March 13th, Mayor Guy Pilon held a press conference to announce a new regulation for the Centre Multisports parking lot, namely a maximum stay of four consecutive hours. This decision resulted from numerous complaints filed by Centre Multisports users in recent months.

“While we’re waiting for the station parking lot to be finished, shuttle buses or a valet parking service like Saint-Lambert are a possibility for next winter. The AMT and the MTQ have to solve the problem. The number of people using the commuter train and the A-40 is constantly increasing. The Centre Multisports clientele is also growing and there have been numerous complaints about the lack of parking space since January. We can’t ignore this very legitimate request, as the parking lot belongs to Centre Multisports. Commuter train users also have their own space. The MTQ has the power to arrive at a solution. I will make sure that they don’t forget their commitment,” added Mayor Guy Pilon.

A meeting is scheduled between the AMT and Mayor Guy Pilon at City Hall on April 13th. The Mayor will discuss parking problems and measures to ease the situation.

French status

Vaudreuil-Dorion is a unilingually French city, a status that was determined by the Government of Québec.

In order for a municipality to offer services in both official languages, half of its population must be residents whose mother tongue is English, which is not currently the case for Vaudreuil-Dorion.

Because of this status, the Charter of the French language requires that only French be used in posting, writing and publishing documents, except where health or public safety also requires the use of another language.

Histoire et patrimoine

Un territoire stratégique

Sis au-delà du Montréal français d’alors, au confluent de la richissime route des fourrures de la rivière des Outaouais et de la stratégique route militaire de la rivière Cataracoui (le Saint-Laurent des Français), le territoire de Vaudreuil-Dorion est l’enjeu de combats meurtriers pour le contrôle de la rivière des Outaouais, le principal moteur économique de la Nouvelle-France.

Après la grande paix signée à Montréal en 1701, avec la Ligue iroquoise, la seigneurie de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, un territoire englobant aujourd’hui Vaudreuil-Dorion, Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac, L'Île-Cadieux, Hudson, Saint-Lazare ainsi que l’île aux Tourtes, est octroyée à Philippe de Rigaud de Vaudreuil en 1702. Sous le régime français, on n’y trouve que 90 familles de colons. Le développement de la seigneurie commence vers 1765, avec la croissance des voyages commerciaux vers l’Ouest canadien le long de la rivière des Outaouais et après la vente, le 2 avril 1763, de la seigneurie de Vaudreuil par l’épouse de Pierre-François de Rigaud de Vaudreuil, Mme Louise-Thérèse Fleury de la Gorgendière à Michel Chartier de Lotbinière. En 1765, il y construit un manoir seigneurial. À l’époque, plusieurs marchands de fourrures font halte dans ces lieux, et la seigneurie profite de son emplacement stratégique pour créer une agriculture stable.

 

Les débuts de Vaudreuil et de Dorion

La paroisse de Vaudreuil est constituée en 1845 et la première assemblée des résidents de Vaudreuil élit son premier maire, M. Hyacinthe F. Charlebois, le 14 juillet 1845.

C’est dans les années 1850 que l’on commence, à Dorion, la construction de chalets d’été, après l’ouverture du chemin de fer du Grand Trunk. La région entre alors de plein fouet dans l’ère moderne. Le 18 décembre 1854, l'adoption de l'acte confirmant l'abolition générale des droits et devoirs féodaux sonne le glas du régime seigneurial. En 1891, le territoire de Dorion se sépare de la paroisse de Vaudreuil et obtient le statut de village. En 1916, Dorion est incorporée et devient une ville. Son nom honore Sir Antoine-Aimé Dorion, juge en chef de la Cour du Banc de la Reine de la province de Québec, décédé l’année de la constitution de la municipalité de Dorion.

La nouvelle ville de Vaudreuil-Dorion arrive plus tard avec la fusion des villes de Vaudreuil et de Dorion, le 16 mars 1994.

 

Vaudreuil-Dorion

Une ville riche de bâtiments patrimoniaux
Plusieurs bâtiments ont contribué à tisser l’histoire de la ville de Vaudreuil-Dorion : l’église Saint-Michel, dont la construction date de 1787, la Maison historique Trestler, érigée en 1798, le Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, construit en 1859 (anciennement une école pour garçons), ainsi que la Maison Valois, édifiée en 1796 (Maison Joachim-Génus).

Vaudreuil-Dorion d’aujourd’hui
Vaudreuil-Dorion regroupe maintenant 38 021 résidents. La ville s’étend sur un territoire de plus de 73,1 kilomètres carrés. Elle fait partie de la région administrative de la Montérégie et se trouve dans la municipalité régionale de comté de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, en bordure de la rivière Outaouais et du lac des Deux-Montagnes. C’est le centre administratif de la MRC. De plus, Vaudreuil-Dorion fait partie de la communauté métropolitaine de Montréal, dont le centre-ville se trouve à moins de 30 minutes.