Snow removal operations are complex, and their safe and efficient completion requires the cooperation of all.
The Public Works Department is responsible for snow removal in municipal parking lots and walkways. Thoroughfares—220 km of roads and 47 km of sidewalks—are cleared by contractors.
The time it takes to remove the snow and to spread melters and abrasives varies depending on the weather. Whatever the conditions, the City makes every effort to ensure the safe movement of vehicles and pedestrians.
Watch a video (in French) that explains the magnitude of the task and what citizens can do to help.
Clearing the entire territory takes several hours, depending on the quantity and type of precipitation. Your collaboration will facilitate the operation and speed up the whole process. Please follow these rules:
- On-street parking is prohibited in the entire territory between midnight and 7 A.M., from November 15 to April 1. Parking tickets can be given by officers of the Sûreté du Québec and the municipal patrol (By-law 1694 on parking).
- Do not shovel snow from your driveway onto the street or sidewalk. It can hinder movement and pose a safety risk to motorists and pedestrians. Moreover, it unnecessarily adds to the cost of snow removal. For this reason, you could be fined $200 for a first offence and a higher amount for repeat offences (By-law 1566 on nuisances).
- During snowfalls, avoid leaving your vehicle on the street, where it could obstruct snow removal operations and risk being damaged (By-law 1694).
- Do not leave anything in the way of the snow removal crews. Your garbage and recycling bins must be on your property, not on the road or sidewalk; a $30 fine will be levied for a first offence (By-law 1586 on residual materials). Do not leave objects on snow piles. They could damage the City's equipment and slow down the snow removal operation.
Due to the prohibition against on-street parking, the City offers a number of alternatives:
- Arena and municipal library
- Centre Multisports
- Jean-Marc-Ducharme community centre
- Parc Trudeau
- Parc de Bel-Air
- Parc de Dorion-Gardens (pay attention to the signage)
- Parc de la Maison-Valois
- Parc Paul-Gérin-Lajoie
- Parc Esther-Blondin
- Parc Lorne-Worsley
- Parc Félix-Leclerc
- Parc de la montée Cadieux
- Parking lot next to the Caserne Forbes on Rue Boileau (pay attention to the signage)
- De la Fabrique Parking
A winter parking information line is set up in winter. Depending on the weather, overnight parking may be allowed. Call 450-455-3372 after 5 PM. to find out if you can park your car on the street. Note that some exceptions apply. Therefore where there is a sign prohibiting parking, the parking sign takes precedence over the telephone message (see Appendix B of By-law No. 1694).
If your property (lawn or other) was damaged by snow removal operations, contact the Public Works Department at email@example.com. You must submit your claim no later than 15 days after you noticed the damage.
Claims will be validated and passed on to the contractor responsible, who will follow up. Throughout the operation, under Article 604.3 of the Cities and Towns Act, the City is not responsible for damage caused by the contractor to whom the snow removal work was entrusted.
The City cannot be held liable for damages arising from an accident befalling a person on a sidewalk, street or path due to snow or ice, unless the claimant establishes that such accident was caused by the City's negligence or error, and the court must take weather conditions into account.
By-law 1692, which came into force on September 6, 2014, requires that all snow removal contractors offering their services to clear private parking areas must hold a permit from the city and observe its clauses. If you hire a snow removal contractor, make sure the person has a permit from the City.
If you are a contractor and wish to obtain a permit, please complete the application form (In French) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Remember to save the form on your computer before filling it out and sending it.)
If you have obtained a snow removal permit but your name is not on the list, please contact the Permits and Inspections Division at the email address shown above. Your name will be added as soon as possible.
Licensed snow removal contractor
- Déneigement Carl Poirier
- Déneigement Como
- Déneigement Daniel Collette
- Déneigement Fjord
- Déneigement Gauvac
- Déneigement GD
- Déneigement Jean-Charles Groulx
- Déneigement J.T.D.
- Déneigement Lionel Bibeau
- Déneigement Pierre Lefebvre
- Déneigement S.B.C.
- DLB Paysagiste
- Entretien Legris
- Entretien Paysagement P.M.
- Excavation Dynamic inc.
- Groupe Lang inc.
- Groupe Paramount inc.
- J. Poirier Excavations inc.
- Jean-Paul Pilon inc.
- JP Fraser
- LAF inc.
- Léandre Viau
- Les Entreprises A. Théorêt inc.
- Luc Castonguay & fils inc.
- Normand Malette enr.
- Pavages Vaudreuil Ltée
- Plus Graceland Plus
- Stéphane Thibault
- Syljack Montréal
- Terrassement Théorêt
- Transport J.R. Cyr
- Vitrerie mobile Claude Lanthier
- Yves Sauvé