Soirées pour emporter: the perfect tool for organizing your own book club!
Last night, the City of Vaudreuil-Dorion launched the Municipal Library’s brand-new project called Soirées pour emporter, created as part of an agreement with the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications du Québec.
As part of Soirées pour emporter, individuals are provided with boxes that include everything they need to set up their own book club. Each book contains six novels from the same author or of the same theme along with a fact sheet on each of the books accompanied with ideas for discussions. Library members can borrow one Soirée box at a time for a period of six weeks.
“With the growing popularity of book clubs, both in public arenas and on the Web, we thought it timely to offer our members the possibility of creating their own book club. The goal is to gather with family and friends, share books and enjoy spending time discussing what we read,” explained the interim head of public services, Alexis Pilon-Boudreault.
At the present time, 25 Soirées pour emporter boxes are available, including 5 in English. Themes and authors are outlined below. Note that unless otherwise indicated (French and English), boxes are available in French only:
- Amie prodigieuse / My brilliant friend (French and English)
- Langage de la meute / Fifteen dogs (French and English)
- Mandible : Une famille, 2029-2047
- Mort d’une princesse
- Sans-papiers / The Illegal (French and English)
- Alice Munro (French and English)
- Guillaume Morrissette
- Marc Séguin
- Valérie Chevalier
- Victoria Hislop
- Beautés désespérées / Desperate housewives (French and English)
- Chick lit
- Books that will make you laugh
- Governor General Award winners
- War stories
- True stories
- Tragic loves stories
- For those who loved The Girl on the Train
- First novels
- Novels about everyday life
The City of Vaudreuil-Dorion worked in collaboration with the graphic design specialists at Tofubox to create the Soirées pour emporter project.
The launch was followed by a conference with prolific author Amélie Dubois, who specializes in Chick Lit novels—one of the themes of the Soirées pour emporter boxes.