Regular collection of household waste is scheduled by zone: Thursdays for the central zone and Tuesdays for the peripheral zone.
Central and peripheral zones
The central zone is the area between Highway 40 and the Canadian Pacific Railway line. All areas outside those boundaries are the peripheral zone.
Instructions on the use of curbside bins
All trucks used for sorted waste collection are equipped with a mechanical arm to lift your 240- or 360-litre wheeled bins (the small blue 64-litre bins are no longer picked up). To make sure your bins are emptied, please follow all instructions regarding waste bins.
- Bins must be placed 1 metre from the street (not in the street or on the sidewalk), wheels facing your house.
- Bins can not be left at the curb between Friday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 4 p.m.
- Bins must not obstruct snow removal or street cleaning.
- The wheeled bins--blue for recycling and black for garbage--are the property of the City. Each has a serial number linked to a street address. They must not be exchanged between neighbours. Please write your address in the area provided.
- It is recommended that bins be placed at each end of the parking area when two pickups take place during the same day. These must be placed 1 m away from cars, buildings or other objects so they can be reached by the mechanical arm of the collection truck.
- Bins should not be kept in the front yard between pickup days.
Bin placement – Multi-unit residential buildings
- Bins must be placed in the driveway, not in the street or on the sidewalk.
- In summer, they may be lined up at the edge of the property, next to the street.
- In winter, to allow for snow removal, they must be lined up in the driveway, perpendicular to the street and all on the same side, with the wheels toward the building.
Failure to follow these instructions may result in your bin not being picked up and can also lead to fines.
Regular cleaning of curbside bins is strongly recommended, especially before they are to be repaired or replaced.
If your bin is broken, please contact the Public Works Department at 450-455-3371, option 3.